~ from cats, dogs and nature to the flowering of body, mind and spirit ~

Friday, February 5, 2010

Earth as Sacred Community


While walking past the shop at Kripalu in January, a thin brown book perched upon the discount cart called to me. Unsuspecting, I stopped to glance through its pages, the author unfamiliar but the title compelling: Evening Thoughts ~ Reflecting on Earth as Sacred Community by Thomas Berry. A line on the first page of chapter one held me captive, one that I have since come to know is widely quoted:

"... the universe is a communion of subjects,
not a collection of objects."

As I read this slim volume, taking my time in order to fully absorb its depth, I find myself wanting to share large portions of Berry's thoughts with everyone! Since I can't do that, I simply encourage you to check out this book or one of his others (all of which are now on my wish-list), read some of his essays by googling, or perhaps watch and listen to Berry via youtube. His insights are profound, his words inspirational, and his gift of wisdom one to be treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. With open heart, I welcome your thoughts however you wish to share them, whether via personal email or as a comment here. ~ Bright Blessings ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...