~ from cats, dogs and nature to the flowering of body, mind and spirit ~

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Study


So, the early part of this week was a bit overwhelming to me. Returning from Kripalu, and realizing what lay ahead of me, I became temporarily overcome when viewing those myriad tasks of school, home, caregiving, volunteer work, and a few other projects. How could I fit everything into the coming days and weeks? I used to do it. Prior to 2003, my life was chock-full of "busy-busy" - like most people I knew - and I spread myself fairly thin which was exhausting. Then, through conscious planning, Ron and I created a simpler, less hectic life for ourselves which has been beautiful and serene. How do I maintain that deep sense of peace while still achieving the new goals I've set? I have no desire to return to that more intense lifestyle of earlier years. I realized that along with adding the KSA studies, I would need to, at least temporarily, let go of a few other self-assigned projects I had recently taken on. A gentle reminder to myself that I don't have to be Superwoman even if that is what society seems to expect from all of us! All I need to do is come home to my center, my Self, my Soul, and The Way is clear ... the current supporting ... the flow divinely inspiring and gently guiding. We take on and we release. I felt the strong tug of attachment when I let go of a few things in order to open space for studying. This time of year supports the natural release as the plants relinquish leaves that are no longer needed - does a tree resist the loss of its leaves? - while at the same time we gratefully harvest the fruits that will continue to support us through the coming time of inner growth and contemplation. The study of Ayurveda is a study of balance: observing the natural cycles within their continual flow of creation/preservation, conversion/transformation, and destruction/propulsion.

The 48th verse of the Tao Te Ching (various translations) encourages this natural 'go with the flow' harmonizing; I don't feel this verse negates learning so much as promotes releasing any struggle in order to move with(in) the current of life. As a student, I seek knowledge with wisdom - balance as dynamic, not static - because life is change.

Learning consists of daily accumulating.
The practice of the Tao consists of daily diminishing;
decreasing and decreasing, until doing nothing.
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone.

True mastery can be gained
by letting things go their own way.
It cannot be gained by interfering.

[translation provided by Wayne Dyer]

* * *

A man anxious for knowledge adds more to himself every minute;
A man acquiring life loses himself init,
Has less and less to bear in mind,
Less and less to do,
Because life, he finds, is well inclined,
Including himself too.
Often a man sways the world like a wind
But not by Deed;
And if there appear to you to be need
Of motion to sway it, it has left you behind.

[translation by Witter Bynner, 1944]

* * *

The student learns by daily increment.
The Way is gained by daily loss,
Loss upon loss until
At last comes rest.

By letting go, it all gets done;
The world is won by those who let it go!
But when you try and try,
The world is then beyond the winning.

[translation by Raymond B. Blakney, 1955]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. With open heart, I welcome your thoughts however you wish to share them, whether via personal email or as a comment here. ~ Bright Blessings ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...