~ from cats, dogs and nature to the flowering of body, mind and spirit ~

Friday, March 6, 2009

To Be The Same


"I write not to be different, but to be the same."

That came out of my brain-drain* this morning and was a little bit of a revelation. I write because, okay, well first because it's just 'what I do' ... like breathing. But when I write to put it 'out there' it's not to receive praise for building up my Ego or to be better than someone else but rather because, at the core, it's my way of connecting, of becoming part of a greater whole. Julia Cameron (The Artist's Way) is right in that creativity is a spiritual practice.

"I write not to be different [unique, separate, better than],
but to be the same [connected, joined, part of the collective]."

I don't know that I read those exact words somewhere or whether it's my own spin, but what matters is that I suddenly realized its truth!

When I'm acknowledged for what I've created and brought into the world, I feel more joined with life. I'm seen. Is that because until now I haven't seen my Self and realized fully, deeply that my Self already is one with the collective of All? When I read someone else's words, I feel connected to the writer or even to a universal essence that unifies all of us. Is that, perhaps, what someone else feels when they read my words? So that the flow goes both ways like the symbol/energy of Infinity? Creativity flows through us from the Infinite and to others who view our works, maybe touching them with the Light so that they, too, feel our Unity with Source across the bounds of time or space?

The 6th verse of the Tao Te Ching says:

The spirit that never dies
is called the mysterious feminine.
Although she becomes the whole universe,
her immaculate purity is never lost.
Although she assumes countless forms,
her true identity remains intact.

The gateway to the mysterious female
is called the root of creation.

Listen to her voice,
hear it echo through creation.
Without fail, she reveals her presence.
Without fail, she brings us to our own perfection.
Although it is invisible, it endures;
it will never end.

(taken from Wayne Dyer's Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life)

Dyer states in his commentary on that verse that "When you're in touch with the energy of your origin, you offer the world your authentic intelligence, talents, and behaviors. You're co-creating with the you that originated in the Tao, with the very measure of your essence."

No matter what we do in this world, we can allow the natural flow of creativity to come through us. There are many more ways of allowing creativity than just those ways considered 'art'. Many forms of holistic healing, such as Homeopathy and Ayurveda, are an art form rather than a strict, regimented application of rules. These are the healing arts. I've seen my husband bring amazing creativity to the resolution of technology/computer problems in the career he has chosen; he allows creativity to flow through him without resistance. And what about the inspiring gardens who were brought into form through the creativity of the gardener and the Mother Nature?

Pure crystalline pearls of water,
Wash away my pain and stress,
Drink my sorrows with your liquid velvet,
Draw forth my loving strokes with your buoyant caress.
As all longing sinks to your cold, icy depths,
And ripples again to the distant shore.
Oh earth tears, sky-born suffering gently descending,
Share my body's weight, and open the way
To time's becoming, the rhythm of breath;
And space, the mystery of pleasures unknown.
Your clean, bright spirit inspires me
To strive for new lengths, you have shown.
What fears once plagued my wandering mind,
Melt in your embrace, enwrapping my soul,
Until I surrender my spirit to find
The uniting of my body to spirit-whole.

(The Nixie of Fairy Lake by Gabriel from Goddess Meditations)

Creativity is a flow I welcome!

Sarasvati, originally referring to a river representing the flow of all life - to create, purify and nourish, as well as to enhance intellect - is also honored as a Goddess of knowledge, music and the arts. The ancient text, the Rig Veda, shares a hymn to Sarasvati:

May Sarasvati, the purifier
rich in wealth - the intellect
Her treasure - desire our sacrifice.
Inspirer of the truthful,
rouser of the noble minded, may
Sarasvati accept our worship.
Sarasvati, mighty ocean,
she rouses up with her light
And brightens all intellects.

(from The Vedas)

For me, the above is about honoring the Source of our creativity, the Source that brings the light that flows through us when we express ourselves through creative action. (I personally feel no conflict opening myself to the Truth in all spirituality, religions and belief systems, and I feel no desire to attach or identify myself with or to any particular theology as I believe they all point to the Divine.) There are many symbols and archetypes that we can use to visually remind us that the Source of our inspiration and creativity is everywhere - within and without. Or simply observe Gaia, Mother Nature, for the ultimate expression of creative energy!

May Goddess Sarasvati,
who is fair like the jasmine-colored moon,
and whose pure white garland is like frosty dew drops;
who is adorned in radiant white attire,
on whose beautiful arm rests the veena,
and whose throne is a white lotus;
who is surrounded and respect by the Gods, protect me.
May you fully remove my lethargy, sluggishness, and ignorance.


All I have to do to free my creativity is to open to Self - and then I am the same - whole - One.

Powerful forces of nature within,
Pulling and drawing my soul
To begin.


_________________
* brain-drain is a term used in Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way to refer to the 'morning pages' which are three pages of stream of consciousness writing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. With open heart, I welcome your thoughts however you wish to share them, whether via personal email or as a comment here. ~ Bright Blessings ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...