~ from cats, dogs and nature to the flowering of body, mind and spirit ~

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Trying


What does this word - trying - mean to you? I know that I over-use it constantly, both figuratively in my language and literally when reflected in my action - or rather in my lack of action. In reality, there is no "trying", there is only "doing." A puppy carries the ring as best she can -- she isn't 'trying' to do this, in the moment of action, she is 'doing' it. Trying is a mental construct that can hold us back, or gives us an excuse or a way out, or makes life easy for us. Trying is to attempt to do something, but by this definition can be deceptive and mislead us. Either I do something or I don't. When we live right now, we don't project ourselves into possible future action but experience life fully present. So when we try, we are in our head, but when we act on this desire, we are doing. Just semantics? Possibly. But, as someone who has her own demons of procrastination (for a variety of reasons), I feel it's a valid concept to consider and bring into the light. Darkness travels towards light, but blindness towards death. ~ Tagore

Last night, I attended a marvelous play called Trying by Joanna McClelland Glass. This was something I did as my weekly Artist Date so I expected to be entertained, which I was. However, I received far more than just a couple hours of amusement, thus my thoughts above.

From the perspective of creativity and art, there were several quotes and remarks within the play that touched upon this, most notably:

All passes. Art alone
Enduring stays to us;
The Bust outlasts the throne,
The Coin, Tiberius.

Needless to say, this quatrain (Dobson, above and below) supports the validity and importance of art and creativity within our own lives as well as future lives or societies. Our creations, in whatever form and by whoever creates them, share our thoughts and feelings and beliefs with those who come after we're gone. And, on that note ...

Time goes, you say? Ah, no!
Alas, Time stays, we go.

____________________

Here's a nice promo for Trying shared via an Australian premiere of it, and, of course, you can find many reviews by simply googling.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. With open heart, I welcome your thoughts however you wish to share them, whether via personal email or as a comment here. ~ Bright Blessings ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...