~ from cats, dogs and nature to the flowering of body, mind and spirit ~

Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Soul is a Garden

Because I feel such a strong resonance with the interconnection of Soul and Nature, and how they mirror and heal each other, I share one of my favorite songs as performed by John Denver - "The Garden Song." A beautiful metaphor ... my Soul is a garden ...



And the lyrics are so lovely...

Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground

Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
Till the rain comes tumblin down

Pullin weeds and pickin stones
Man is made of dreams and bones
Feel the need to grow my own
Cause the time is close at hand

Rainful rain, sun and rain
Find my way in natures chain
Tune my body and my brain
To the music from the land

Plant your rows straight and long
Temper them with prayer and song
Mother Earth will make you strong
If you give her love and care

Old crow watchin hungrily
From his perch in yonder tree
In my garden Im as free
As that feathered thief up there

Words and music by Dave Mellett (I thought they were by John Denver, but apparently not!)

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, the song and pictures are so beautiful and uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ♥ I've always loved this song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to hear this gentle song tonight. Thank you so much for sharing it. I can see why it is a favorite of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so pleased that you all enjoyed the song! May your 'seeds' be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, a John Denver song I've never heard, how can that be?? This is great, he wrote this about me! I am going to come back and watch this video tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that! You and Vicki are making me so eager for the coming of the springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, after watching it a second time, I caught that it's NOT a John Denver song. Sounds like it could have been one of his though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenda, yes! I was extremely surprised to discover that this song was *not* written by the incredible John Denver ... but he could have, I agree with you, as it sounds just like him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has always been one of my favorite songs. I used to sing it with my children. I think our version was by Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie. I actually sing this sometimes when I'm out digging my hands into the soil. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been singing it every since I heard it the other day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth and Brenda - "inch by inch, row by row" - we're all singing together! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. With open heart, I welcome your thoughts however you wish to share them, whether via personal email or as a comment here. ~ Bright Blessings ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...